While the bushfires are limiting our options, there are still some beautiful canyons down south we can still get to. The landscape can be a bit different with canyons here being more open with fun abseiling routes down waterfalls into pools. The average water temperatures aren’t as cold either.
Macquarie Rivulet is a wonderful canyon near Wollongong. It has an upper and lower section. We will travel down by car Sunday early morning, there are 4 abseils in total for the lower section with the longest being about 40m. There are some adevnturous jumps into pools as well.
It’ll be a fun day, the hike is pretty spectacular as well. Expect this to take the whole day.
• MUST be available to pick up gear at club storage at 4:30pm on Saturday the 14th December.
• MUST be able to leave Sydney at 5:30am on Sunday the 15th December. Lifts and transport will be organised.
• Must have done Abseil skills 1 or have previous abseiling experience using a rappel rack and be independent in rigging your own device.
• Must be able to swim in deep cold water for at least 50 metres with your pack on your back.
• Must be comfortable in abseiling in a waterfall and into deep water.
• Must have good level of fitness
• Must be comfortable with water jumps from a height of 4m
The club will supply any necessary gear you need. We will sort that out later. We will need drivers so preference will be given to drivers who can pick up at UTS on Sunday morning. Please let us know if you can drive and take people with you.
Passengers, the cost will be $20 for the round trip, payable to your driver.
I will be confirming all participants on Thursday the 12th around lunch time.
There is a description of the canyon here (we will be doing the lower section): https://ozultimate.com/canyoning/track_notes/macquarie_pass.htm
Mukessh is our guide on this one, I’ll be helping him keep everyone moving through this beautiful canyon experience. We’re looking forward to seeing you all out there.
Participants are closed for this activity.